Victoria has recorded its first Covid-19 deaths since the state’s devastating second wave last year.
Two women have died with Covid-19 in Victoria, the state’s first virus deaths in nearly a year.
A woman in her 40s from the Darebin area and a Hume woman in her 60s died at home on Tuesday.
Their deaths are the first in Victoria since last year’s second wave and take the state’s toll to 822.
“We send our deepest condolences to the families and communities involved – and we will be working with them to give them the support and guidance they need over the coming days,” the Victorian health department said in a statement.
“We know Covid-19 symptoms can rapidly worsen. If this is happening to you (or someone you know or live with) and help is required, please seek medical care. If it’s an emergency, call triple-0.”
The deaths, which the health department says will be investigated, will be recorded in Wednesday’s figures.
Victoria confirmed 76 new infections on Tuesday, taking its total number of active locally acquired cases to 841.
Meanwhile, NSW recorded 1164 new infections, taking the total number of local cases since the Delta outbreak began in Sydney in June to 21,208.
The deaths of three people, a woman in her 50s, a man in his 80s and a man in his 90s, were announced in NSW on Tuesday.
There have been 96 Covid-19 related deaths in NSW in this outbreak and 152 in total since the start of the pandemic.