Coronavirus in Victoria, NSW, SA: Prahran Market exposed and

Another day, another dozen exposure sites.

If you’re one of the more than 13 million Australians in lockdown right now, chances are you’re feeling

Hang in there. Stay at home. Stay informed.

Check the latest below – and get tested if you have symptoms or have been

South Australian cases linked to winery

The SA cluster doubled from six to 12 cases on Wednesday and more exposure sites were identified just before midnight.

The outbreak started after an 81-year-old man tested positive after arriving in Adelaide from Sydney where he had been in quarantine following a flight from Argentina.

Genomic testing has confirmed the man became infected while in Sydney, not while overseas.

Five of the latest cases are linked to the Tenafeate Creek winery at Yattalunga, north of Adelaide, with the sixth, a child under five, linked to The Greek restaurant in the city where a number of infected people dined over the weekend.

One of the cases from the winery, a man in his 40s, also attended a school at Gawler on Monday. That’s raised concerns for the health of other staff and students.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the winery and restaurant are considered superspreader sites.

The newly listed Tier 1 exposure sites are:

  • The Way cafe in Elizabeth on 19 July from 10.15am to 12.00pm;
  • St George Bakehouse in Elizabeth on 19 July from 11.45am to 1.45pm;
  • Coles Express in Fairview Park on 19 July from 9am to 9.40am;
  • All Make Crash Repairs in Holden Hill on 19 July from 8.45am to 9.20am;
  • Casa Bambini in Seacliff on 19 July from 6.30 am to 6.00 pm;
  • Chemist King Discount Pharmacy in Surrey Downs on 19 July from 5.15pm to 6.30pm;
  • Drakes in Surrey Downs on 16 July from 11.10am to midday;
  • Smile Centre in Surrey Downs on 16 July from 6.30pm to 8pm;
  • Surrey Downs Chicken & Takeaway in Surrey Downs on 16 July from 11.30am to 12.30pm.

There are also new Tier 2 and Tier 3 exposure sites in Elizabeth, Evanston, Gawler, Greenwith, and Modbury.

They include the Greenwith Primary School oval and the emergency department of the Modbury Hospital.

Sydney

NSW linked more sites to the current outbreak late on Wednesday night. They include supermarkets, shops, restaurants, a post office and a medical clinic.

  • Woolworths, Glenrose Village in Belrose at various times between July 10 and July 20;
  • Star City Supermarket in Merrylands Road at various times between July 12 and July 15;
  • La Vita Mediterranean Shop in Edensor Park on July 14 from 6.10pm to 6.30pm;
  • Post Office, Eastgate Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction on July 15 from 12.55pm to 1.40pm;
  • Ajmer’s Indian Restaurant in Belrose on July 15 from 5.30pm to 6.00pm;
  • Cincotta Chemist in Auburn on July 16 from 11am to midday;
  • Afghan Sufra Lakemba in Lakemba on July 16 from 4.30pm to 4.50pm;
  • Chemist Warehouse in Parramatta on July 17 from 1.35pm to 1.55pm;
  • Pet Barn North Parramatta on July 17 from 3.40pm to 4.00pm;
  • Three Beans Cafe in Belrose on July 18 from 8.50am to 9.10am;
  • Taste Baguette Glenrose in Belrose on July 18 from 11.30am to 11.45am;
  • Haldon Street Medical Practice in Lakemba on July 19 from 1.45pm to 2.40pm

NSW recorded 110 new local COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Tuesday, up from 78 the previous day.

At least 60 of the new cases were circulating in the community for part or all of their infectious periods.

More than half – 56 – of the new cases were still under investigation and had not been linked to existing clusters when they were announced.

Cases would have been in the “thousands and thousands” had Greater Sydney not entered lockdown, Premier Gladys Berejiklian said.

The premier said authorities won’t be able to tell whether tighter lockdown rules have slowed the spread of the virus until at least the weekend or early next week.

In other words, it’s far too early to predict whether stay-at-home orders will lift at the end of the month. Ms Berejiklian made it clear that restrictions would remain in place in some form until more people get vaccinated.

“In truth, we won’t live as freely as we need to or we would like until vaccination rates increase,” she said.

“That is one thing the NSW government can’t control.”

Popular Melbourne market on alert

Organisers of the Prahran Market have told customers a person with COVID-19 was on site on Saturday morning.

The market said the health department had informed them a case shopped at Pete n Rosie’s Deli, Q le Baker, Prahran Seafoods, John Cester’s Poultry and Game, Gary’s Quality Meats, Reliable Fruit and Veg and Market Lane Coffee.

“Due to the broad geographic spread of the traders, DHHS has taken the step of classifying the whole of Prahran Market as a Tier 1 exposure site,” market organisers wrote on Facebook.

“All staff working within the market during the exposure period will be immediately tested and quarantine for 14 days from the exposure date.

“We will also work closely with them to conduct a deep clean of both their stalls and the market as a whole.”

As of 6.30am Thursday morning, the market was not named on the official list of exposure sites. The list, last updated at 6.30pm Wednesday, included these new venues:

  • New Star Nails in Roxburgh Park on July 14 from 4.10pm to 6pm;
  • Sunbury Square Medical Centre in Sunbury on July 19 from 6pm to 8.30pm;
  • Solunar Cafe in Mildura on July 12 from 2.15pm to 2.30pm;
  • Yarra Trams Route 109 between Stop 36 and Stop 51 from 3.20pm to 3.38pm;
  • BWS in Caulfiled North on July 15 from 3.25pm to 3.50pm;
  • TK Maxx in Craigieburn on July 15 from 3.15pm to 4.40pm.

Twenty-two new local cases were reported in Victoria on Wednesday, the state’s highest daily total of the current outbreak.

It took the total number of active cases in the outbreak to 107, all of which have been linked.

Sixteen of the 22 new cases were isolating while infectious, and the remaining six posed a low risk to the community as they visited few exposure sites.

There are currently five people in hospital with COVID-19, including a man from Barwon Heads who is in intensive care.

Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said Victoria would be facing a “world of hurt” in coming weeks if authorities had not immediately locked down the state.

Source link

Be the first to comment on "Coronavirus in Victoria, NSW, SA: Prahran Market exposed and"

Leave a Reply